Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Routines

I look back over the past five and a half months and wonder where the time has gone. I remember so vividly everything about the day we took Angelina in our arms forever. How she looked at her Papa with such innocence in her eyes and how she held her mouth out for me to feed her. How she fell asleep peacefully in the two arm chairs that we had to put together and line with numerous blankets. Now, 5.5 months later, I sit here on the brink of returning to work, wondering again where the time has gone.

Lina will be going to a small day care. The woman works from her home and is my girlfriend’s mother-in-law. I have all confidences in this woman and think she does an excellent job with the kids. On a full day, she cares for 7 children, and most days Lina will be one of three or four. This has brought me great peace of mind as the last thing I wanted was for Angelina to feel in any way that she was being brought back to an institution-like situation. I like to think that being in a smaller day care will help all of our transitions along and Angelina will not regress too badly. Only time will tell.

Lina has been going to day care for half days this week to ease into her new surroundings. She has been doing well, which makes me happy. I have not seen too much of a regression yet, though we are also not there full time. As I expected, she really is not that upset when I leave and has not gotten really excited when she sees me return. I know that this is because her attachment to us is not complete. I think the day she is upset that I leave her will be the first day I will feel not guilty for leaving her!

I suppose that if I do have to work, then returning to teaching is the best job a mom can have. I will be able to wake Lina up from her naps (that is, of course, if she has not spent the whole 2 hour nap time unzipping her sleeper and taking off her diaper). And, in 90 working days we will be able to enjoy the summer together – but, who’s counting?! I am ready for school, newly equipped with a new frame that has a picture of Lina and some new clothes. (Lesson plans…hmmm…I have no time for those now!)

My only hope is that our new routine does not interrupt our attachment progress or cause damage to the fragile attachment we have begun to secure. Wish us luck.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Adrian: I came across your blog when reading Jeff and Dawn's -- and just loved seeing how beautiful your daughter is! We are awaiting a Court Date in Ekat (where Jeff and Dawn's little boy is) and our little girl is just a tad younger than Angelina -- K just turned two 2 weeks ago.

So glad to see that all is going so well and will continue to check in!

All the best,
Laura

Becky and Keith said...

You will be so surprised at how resilient Lina is going to be with the daycare transition! She will be confused for a little while, but those snuggles at night and in the morning will mean so much to her (and you!). So glad you'll have the summer off with her! By the way, you are so lucky! Angelina has the cutest, "non-posed" smile.