Monday, July 14, 2008

The Verdict is In

We had a very exciting day here in Bryansk. We left Moscow by train and arrived here around 1:00am. Neither of us slept on the train, we were far too excited about the day ahead! We checked into our hotel room, and met Olga at 7:30 to go to Karachev to visit Angelina.

Angelina is just as wonderful and happy as we remember her, maybe a bit bigger! We danced, played, and she even followed the directive from the orphanage care giver to give me a kiss! She babbled a lot more than last time, and she seems to be much sturdier on her feet. We only got to see Angelina for about an hour before we had to leave to get to court on time.

Olga prepared us for court on Thursday by telling us that there will be a different judge hearing our case, and that she is very strict. This put us on edge for the whole weekend. Then, on Sunday, Olga told us the news about a Russian-adopted child’s death in the USA over the past few days. She said that this may give us some trouble in court as well. So, I was pretty nervous and worried about our hearing.

So, our hearing lasted 2 hours, in a hot, stuffy room with no air conditioning. I looked up at Ken once and he had beads of sweat running from his forehead. The judge questioned us for about an hour, some simple questions, like about our employment and housing situations. Then, some tougher questions: She asked us about our feelings towards the latest death of a Russian-adopted child. We were asked about our motivations for adopting and why from Russia. She also asked us how we plan to care for our child, and if our families approved of this adoption. She asked us to describe our meetings with Angelina, and what our feelings were towards her. This is when I proceeded to cry, Ken…just sweated. She also asked Ken if he was upset that we were not referred a boy, and then said to him, "maybe next time."

The judge grilled me on how name changes work, and how I got my married name on all of my documents. She thoroughly went through our and Angelina’s paperwork. There were representatives from the orphanage present. They needed to testify to the judge that Angelina was available for adoption and that she was not approached by any Russian couples first. They also were there to support us in our desire to adopt her.

So, after two long hours of court, we are proud to say that the judge approved our petition, and we are officially the parents of Angelina! We are going to celebrate at the nice Italian restaurant in town!

This will be our last post from Russia. Tonight, we hit the midnight train to Moscow, then our flight takes off at 12:30! We can’t wait to come home and get ready for GOTCHA DAY!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AID&KEN:
It's all over. Dad and I are soooo happy for both of you. Yes Angelina looks a little bigger than befor but she looks happy. We just can't wait till you get her home. Yes Aid dreams do come true.

LOVE
MOM&DAD

Lori & Michael said...

Wow, sound like you had a tough two hours! That judge put you through the ringer. But I'm so thrilled and happy for you that it is over and it is all official now. Have fun celebrating!

Lori

http://lorimichaeladoptionjourney.blogspot.com/

Scott & Tammi said...

Oh my, it sounds like you had a challenging judge! But in the end I am thrilled you are officially Angelina's new parents. Have a safe trip home. The big countdown begins!! Congratulations!!!

Team Freirose said...

CONGRATS! Anne and I couldn't be happier for you!! We can't wait for some more pics!
Love, Krissy & Anne

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrian and Ken! This is so exciting! BTW, just I read through some of the older posts and saw you were having hairdryer "issues" ;) I would be happy to offer the use of my ITALIAN hairdryer if you think it would convert in Russia! We own a whole converter kit, but hair dryers don't do so well. One of Maria's friends was living in Italy and I had her buy me one there...I need one with a diffuser to deal with all these curls. I have been to Italy twice and it works great! It can be used without the diffuser. In Europe different countries have different plugs...AND of all the countries in Europe I have visited, I have noted that the current in the bathrooms is TOO low to drive the hairdryer. They are only designed to use Electric Razors. Hair Dryers have to be used in the other rooms! I am guessing that is because their regular current is 210v and if you dropped your hairdryer in the water you would get fried!!! (USA only has 110v for household use...except for clothes dryers and really big appliances)If you want to borrow it for your next trip, let me know! Too bad I didn't read this sooner, i could have made your life a little easier:)
Take Care,
Mimi

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrian and Ken! This is so exciting! BTW, just I read through some of the older posts and saw you were having hairdryer "issues" ;) I would be happy to offer the use of my ITALIAN hairdryer if you think it would convert in Russia! We own a whole converter kit, but hair dryers don't do so well. One of Maria's friends was living in Italy and I had her buy me one there...I need one with a diffuser to deal with all these curls. I have been to Italy twice and it works great! It can be used without the diffuser. In Europe different countries have different plugs...AND of all the countries in Europe I have visited, I have noted that the current in the bathrooms is TOO low to drive the hairdryer. They are only designed to use Electric Razors. Hair Dryers have to be used in the other rooms! I am guessing that is because their regular current is 210v and if you dropped your hairdryer in the water you would get fried!!! (USA only has 110v for household use...except for clothes dryers and really big appliances)If you want to borrow it for your next trip, let me know! Too bad I didn't read this sooner, i could have made your life a little easier:)
Take Care,
Mimi